The role of Government Accounting Unit is to develop and advise on policy for accounting, financial management, internal audit and risk management for the central government area.
Other functions include:-
- Liaise with the Committee of Public Accounts (PAC) on behalf of the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform with regard to the Minutes of the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform and attendance of officers at the committee meetings.
- Consultation with the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General (C&AG) as required.
- Issuing of warrants with regard to the appointment of Accounting Officers – (Accounting Officer list).
- Provision of advice and issue of Circulars to Departments and Offices concerning Government Accounting matters.
- Responsibility for the Public Financial Procedures book, ‘The Blue Book’.